[petsc-users] Partitioning and AO problem

"Miguel A. Fernández" miguel.fernandez at inria.fr
Tue Mar 26 09:49:59 CDT 2013

Thanks once more.

> Okay, you can specify index sets for both sides and keep the same
> meaning you have now, but if you call
>
>  AOCreateBasicIS(isg,NULL,&ao);
>
> then the new ordering 'isg' is the "application ordering". This is
> consistent with normal usage where "PETSc ordering" is the way data is
> currently distributed and the "application ordering" is the ordering
> that will be used for some other purpose.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/2609aec54a581b5b53a7f4681bee8e97b5c70594

OK, I see the point.

In any case,  I would say that this usage of the terminology "application ordering" is not fully coherent with the discussion of section 2.3.1,
where (as far as I understood) "application ordering" is supposed to be the original ordering of the application data (mesh veticies, dof, etc…) before optimal
distribution of it (or, e.g., by calling the program in a single processor).

Best,
Miguel

--
INRIA Paris - Rocquencourt