[petsc-users] question about Hermitian matrix

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 21 06:48:02 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Michael Povolotskyi
<mpovolot at purdue.edu>wrote:

>  Hello,
> I have to perform multiplications of a Hermitian distributed matrix by a
> distributed vector.
>
> Questions:
> 1) will setting the  MAT_HERMITIAN option save the memory of the matrix
> storage?
> 2) will it save me time during the multiplication?

No, it only changes default preconditioner settings (like incomplete
Cholesky instead of ILU and symmetric ASM instead of RASM). You can
explicitly use the SBAIJ format to use a symmetric format (which saves
memory, but it is sometimes slower because it has to communicate twice).