[petsc-users] KSP convergence problem

Mehrdad H Farahani mh.farahani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 15:13:21 CDT 2013

I am solving a Poisson equation with Neumann boundary conditions applied
along an arbitrary curve using a ghost fluid treatment. The matrix is
non-symmetric and the null space contains more than the constant vector. I
have implemented a solve for the null space itself and have previously
supplied it using MatSetNullSpace. Unfortunately the null space solve is
extremely expensive and does not play well with GAMG or ML. We've checked
that the answers we get without supplying this null space are very close to
the answers we get when we do include it. The matrix for the two solves in
the previous attachment are identical. The problem also seems to be
converging and then suddenly diverges. Is this common behavior for a
singular preconditioner?

Thanks,

--
Mehrdad