[petsc-users] Eigenvalue solver method in Petsc

Sanjay Govindjee s_g at berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 17 17:34:14 CDT 2013

Our FEA code has its own local serial solver which we use at the final
step to solve the subspace etc.
The serial solver is both direct and iterative (one chooses).
One could just as easily use a PETSc solver -- serial or parallel.

We did it this way since we had a legacy code that already had the
algorithms programed up.  To convert
to parallel we only had to program the operator and inverse operator
applications which we did with PETSc.

On 3/17/13 12:40 PM, Sonya Blade wrote:

>> For our FEA code we have used PETSc to solve mechanical eigen problems using
>> subspace as well as parallel-ARPACK.  It works well and is not that hard
>> to program.
> Which package exactly solved the subspace or you used them in conjunction?
> Can you give pseudo-code for that, for example do I have to call a set of
> functions or only the one function is associated with subspace iteration in
> Petsc or Arpack?
>
> How about the other methods Jacobi, simultaneous iteration  etc.. is it possible
> to use them in Petsc?
>
>> but it is minor for your average mechanical problem.
> If you call 5000x5000 matrix small I really wonder what you will call huge ?
>
> Regards,

Sanjay Govindjee, PhD, PE
Professor of Civil Engineering
Vice Chair for Academic Affairs

779 Davis Hall
Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Materials
Department of Civil Engineering
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710

Voice:  +1 510 642 6060