[petsc-users] possible error

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 14 13:44:07 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Nachiket Gokhale <gokhalen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I compiled with --with-debugging=0 --COPTFLAGS='-O0 -g3'
> --CXXOPTFLAGS='-O0 -g3'  and I do not get the error.  Am I to infer
> that it is an error in the optimization levels? I am using gcc-4.4.5
> - perhaps I should try upgrading?

I would try upgrading, yes. It's also possible that the code is buggy and
relies on some undefined behavior. Newer compilers are more likely to tell
you about that, but it's no guarantee. I would also try an incremental
approach, e.g., COPTFLAGS='-O1 -g'. Debugging at optimization without
debugging symbols is hard enough already, doing it over email isn't really
practical.