[petsc-users] odd SNES behavior

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 6 12:21:48 CST 2013

  hypre run

  Linear solve converged due to CONVERGED_RTOL iterations 8
  9 SNES Function norm 4.819210383260e+04
Nonlinear solve converged due to CONVERGED_SNORM_RELATIVE iterations 9

  gang run

 9 SNES Function norm 4.895122815462e+04

  So they are tracking each other well per Newton step: hypre slightly above but also doing more iterations per Newton so probably reasonable.

   It is interesting that the hypre run hits the "small Newton step size" limit, but the gamg does not (this explains why the hypre "takes" less Newton steps).

   You can run with -snes_linesearch_monitor also (my guess is that it is being triggered more with gamg hence more function evaluations).

   Barry