[petsc-users] no-debug-mode problem

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 29 01:05:10 CDT 2013

On Jun 29, 2013, at 12:24 AM, Longxiang Chen <suifengls at gmail.com> wrote:

> I find that the fortran program cannot add optimization flag (-O2 or -O3) if I use gfortran-4.7.2 or ifort to compile.

   What do you mean? Do you mean to say that if use -O2 or -O3 flags with gfortran 4.7.2 or ifort  it produces the wrong answer? Does it produce the same wrong answer with both compilers?  If you use no optimization with both compilers does it produce the "correct" answer?

> When I change the compiler to gfortran-4.4, now the --with-debug=0 (adding -O3) works.

   but if you use -O3 flag with gfortran 4.4 it runs with the correct answer?

   Since it works incorrectly with two very different fortran compilers (optimized) it is more likely there is something wrong with your  code than with both compilers. You most definitely should run with valgrind and make sure there is no memory corruption in your code.

   Barry