[petsc-users] Is it possible to build PETSc project in Visual Studio?

Danyang Su danyang.su at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 18:35:36 CDT 2013

Hi All,

I am currently developing codes under Windows utilizing intel visual
fortran + visual studio. When I need to build the project, I switch to
CYGWIN, compile the project with makefile and it works fine.

Recently, I found an Opensource project pflotran that also uses Petsc
(https://bitbucket.org/pflotran/pflotran-dev/wiki/Home) and it is said
the project can be build under windows with visual studio
(https://bitbucket.org/pflotran/pflotran-dev/wiki/Installation/Windows).
I tried a simple example following the instructions of pflotran to see
if it works, unfortunately, it failed in linking, showing lots of
unresolved external symbol.

The following directories have been included in the project property -
General:
C:\cygwin\packages\petsc-3.3-p4;C:\cygwin\packages\petsc-3.3-p4\include;C:\cygwin\packages\petsc-3.3-p4\arch-mswin-c-debug\include;C:\Program
Files\MPICH2\include

And the following directories have been included in the project property
- Linker:
C:\cygwin\packages\petsc-3.4.2\arch-mswin-c-debug\lib;C:\Program
Files\MPICH2\lib;
libpetsc.lib fmpich2.lib fmpich2g.lib mpi.lib

I just want to make a confirmation if Petsc project can be built under
visual studio. And if the answer is yes, how to configure the project.

Thanks and regards,

Danyang