[petsc-users] How to know the communication time for solver?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 24 22:29:55 CDT 2013

Fande Kong <fd.kong at siat.ac.cn> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> With option -log_summary, I can get the time of KSPSolve(). I also want to
> know how much time is used for communicating data in the KSPSolve().

When communication is in progress (MPI_Irecv and MPI_Isend posted), but
you are also doing something, would you like to call that communication
or computation?

Look at the reductions (VecDot, VecNorm, etc) and the other major
communication events like VecScatterEnd and MatAssemblyBegin/End to get
a sense for how much time is spent in communication.  Note that
-log_summary contains various measures of how much communication
occurred in each event.