[petsc-users] How to read/write unstructured mesh in parallel

Stephen Wornom stephen.wornom at inria.fr
Wed Jul 24 11:27:04 CDT 2013

<Yes, though it's much better if you use MPI-IO collective IO. The worst is
<if every process reads a different file.

The unstructured code I use collects the different core solution on processor 0 then writes the global solution file to be used at a restart. When I have a mesh > 2 MillionNodes
I cannot execute as the RAM/core is 3.4Gb which is sufficient to execute but the virtual memory is too large and I get an error.

Three  questions:
1- If I used mpi-io to write the file, would that reduce the virtual memory needed and permit  me to run larger meshes?
2- How would I use the mpi-io routines in the oetsc library to write the files? The mesh is partitioned using metis.
3- Is there a coding example of mpi-io writes that I could use to understand how petsc functions?
Thanks if advance,
Stephen

stephen.wornom at inria.fr
2004 route des lucioles - BP93