[petsc-users] Variable ordering in PC FieldSplit

Subramanya G subramanya.g at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 20:57:32 CDT 2013

Hi Barry,
Thanks. I've been looking at KSP/ex43.C and from what I understand the
following are the main steps.

     PCFieldSplitSetBlockSize
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCFieldSplitSetBlockSize.html#PCFieldSplitSetBlockSize>(pc,3);
 // Total number of fields

     PCFieldSplitSetFields
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCFieldSplitSetFields.html#PCFieldSplitSetFields>(pc,"u",2,ufields,ufields);
// split into groups  (u and v)
     PCFieldSplitSetFields
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCFieldSplitSetFields.html#PCFieldSplitSetFields>(pc,"p",1,pfields,pfields);
// p

I am unable to see where petsc  expects to know whether the values in
node major or variable major order.

Thanks,
Subramanya

Subramanya G Sadasiva,

Graduate Research Assistant,
Hierarchical Design and Characterization Laboratory,
School of Mechanical Engineering,
Purdue University.

"The art of structure is where to put the holes"
Robert Le Ricolais, 1894-1977