[petsc-users] Error message Exit Code 9

Garnet Vaz garnet.vaz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:09:45 CDT 2013

Dear all,

My PETSc code crashes with the output

"
Number of lines in file is 5349000  #<----- Number of points
Number of lines in file is 10695950  #<----- Number of triangles
reading cell list successful
reading vertex list successful
Mesh distribution successful

=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
=   EXIT CODE: 9
=   CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
=   YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES
YOUR APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Killed (signal 9)
This typically refers to a problem with your application.
Please see the FAQ page for debugging suggestions
"

I am using a debug version of PETSc. The same code has been working
for smaller meshes (upto 3M triangles). I have run the code through valgrind
and it reports no memory leaks for a smaller mesh.

All my functions use PetscFunctionBegin()/End()
which usually reports me the function causing the problem. In this case,
the output does not help except for the exit code = 9. What does this mean?

--
Regards,
Garnet Vaz