[petsc-users] creating a DM with fewer processors than available?

Frederik Treue frtr at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Jul 8 06:59:53 CDT 2013

Hi,

I am solving 2D problems using petsc, but for some diagnostics I need 1D
objects. This works fine, except if I use many processors for a
relatively small grid: say gridsize 512x512, with 256 processors. In the
2D DM, this is not a problem, I get 32x32 blocks on each processor. But
in the 1D object petsc allocates 2 points to each processor, and since I
have a stencil with of 2, it croaks! Is there any way around this, ie.
use less processors for a designated DM?

/Frederik Treue