[petsc-users] Performance RH5 vs RH6

Mohamad M. Nasr-Azadani mmnasr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 12:16:47 CDT 2013

Hi guys,

Recently, a supercomputer I had been using for the past year, upgraded
their OS from RH5 to RH6. After recompiling PETSc along with Hypre with
various compilers (gcc and intel) and mpi packages (openmpi and mvapich2),
the performance I observe on RH6 is significantly worse, e.g. my code is
close to 30-40% slower.

My code is a finite-difference Navier-Stokes solver and uses BoomerAMG to
precondition the pressure Poisson equation.
I have not done a thorough profiling yet, but I was wondering if you have
encountered a similar experience before.

Thanks,
Mohamad