[petsc-users] Hypre and IC preconditioning

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 10 11:22:17 CST 2013

Umut:
We have incomplete cholesky preconditioner (icc) in petsc, but do not
have support for drop tolerance.

Hyper and superlu support ILUT, which is an unsymmetric preconditioner,
thus cannot be used for cg.

Several years ago, I tried to write ilut for petsc, but did not see
any convincing
benefit  of dropping small matrix entries compared with ilu.
The development was then abandoned.

Note, ilut requires almost full matrix numerical factorization for
dropping entries; the only trade-off is controlled memory for matrix factors.
For numerical stability, row/col pivot is needed in general.
There is no math theory that supports dropping small entries would
still maintain
good approximation of full matrix factorizations.
I would suggest using icc instead.

Hong