[petsc-users] Lower spectrum limit for Lanczos type eigensolvers

Umut Tabak u.tabak at tudelft.nl
Sun Feb 10 06:10:38 CST 2013

Dear all,

I am trying to experiment with a block Lanczos eigensolver code of mine
for symmetric systems.

I have a practical question which I could not find a direct answer yet.

For large sparse matrices, what should be the number of eigenvalues to
be extracted with this Krylov subspace based solver? I am looking for a
ratio or a rule of thumb like 'if you want k eigenvalues and your system
size is n, then the ratio given by k/n should not exceed 0.01'. In this
case '0.01' is just a coefficient, say r, any practical experience on
choosing this coefficient r? I know Lanczos method is efficient on
extracting extreme values over the spectrum but is there a, more or
less, a practical limit like the one I tried to explain?

Best regards,
Umut