[petsc-users] Finite Element Method of 3d wave equation

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 26 09:54:34 CST 2013

Please always use "reply-all" so that your messages go to the list.
This is standard mailing list etiquette.  It is important to preserve
threading for people who find this discussion later and so that we do
not waste our time re-answering the same questions that have already
been answered in private side-conversations.  You'll likely get an
answer faster that way too.

吕超 <luchao at mail.iggcas.ac.cn> writes:

> Hi Jed Brown:
>
>        Thank you for your reply. My Phd's thesis is about 3d wave
>        equation solved by spectral element method(high order finite
>        element method). So I want to kown whether you have some docs
>        or Petsc's programs about my thesis direction. I am so sorry to
>        cause you so much trouble. Thanks!

PETSc does not have special code for spectral element methods, though
there is at least one example that uses spectral elements
(src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex59.c) and PetscFE (new in petsc-dev)
has support for arbitrary order.

The formulation in src/ts/examples/tutorials/ex12.c is a reasonable
formulation of the time-dependent problem, though it is common to ask
for a symplectic time integrator.  Gauss methods are one way to get
there (not necessarily the most efficient, but very high order and can
be vectorized--new research topic), though there is a large literature
on symplectic methods.  Additional time integration methods are easy to
add.