[petsc-users] Snes failled with reason -6

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 19 17:01:41 CST 2013

  ratio is || A - Afd || /||A|| where |||| is the frobenus norm and difference is || A - Afd ||.

  Try using -snes_mf -pc_type lu

   This can often converge even if the A you provide is wrong, so if this convergence sine then likely the Jacobian is wrong.

   It is also possible that the function evaluation has a bug.

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#newton

   Barry