[petsc-users] Stiff ODEs

Katy Ghantous katyghantous at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 11:05:44 CST 2013

Hi,
I have just started with Petsc and have very elementary equations.
I am trying to solve a set of stiff ODEs explicitly. They are very stiff
and was hoping to use TSRK with variable time steps, but it is throwing a
segmentation fault otherwise non existent with Euler or TSSSP.
1. should i look into the TSRK error or is it something with the new
version of Petsc?
2. i read somewhere (but cant find the source again) that TSSSP is not
recommended for stiff equations (even with the rk solvers set as the type).
Is that correct? if so, what would be most optimized to solve stiff odes
explicitly.
3. If it is not correct and TSSSP is useful for stiff equations, how can i
run it with variable time steps, since with TSStep it is taking equal time
steps which is the time step that i am specifying as an initial time step
TSSetInitialTimeStep.

Thank you,