[petsc-users] GAMG and linear elasticity

Mark F. Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sat Aug 31 16:06:59 CDT 2013

On Aug 31, 2013, at 12:25 PM, Tabrez Ali <stali at geology.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Hello
>
> So I used PCSetCoordinates and now GAMG seems to work really well in that the number of iterations are relatively constant. Here are the number of iterations on 4 cores
>
> DOF       ASM    GAMG
> 2187       15     22
> 14739      26     22
> 107811     51     29
>
> So in PCSetCoordinates the 'coords' array should include values for the ghost nodes as well or only those values that correspond to the local owned sol'n vector?

Local only.

> In the experiment above I included values of the ghost nodes as well (just had to add a line in my existing code) and it seems to have worked fine.

You tacked it onto the end of the array and so no harm done, we just did not read it.

And you might want to use MatNullSpaceCreateRigidBody to create these vectors from the coordinates.  This would add one extra step but it 1) is the preferred way and 2) it sounds like you want to something like Stokes and you could run with modify the vectors from MatNullSpaceCreateRigidBody to do an all MG solver (and dump this fieldsplit crap :)  SOR smoothers inode matrices are actually vertex blocked smoothers and so they are stable even though they have a zero on the diagonal (just order pressure last).

I think Jed mentioned this to you but specifically you can take the vectors that come out of MatNullSpaceCreateRigidBody and think if it as a tall skinny matrix: 3*n x 6.  For the 3x6 matrix for each (n) vertex, call this Q, create a 4x7 matrix:

Q  0
0   1.0

and give that to GAMG (i.e., 7 vectors of size 4*n).  This would be very interesting to see how it works compared to fieldsplit.

Oh, and pressure has to be a vertex variable.