[petsc-users] better way of setting dirichlet boundary conditions

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 07:37:48 CDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Bishesh Khanal <bisheshkh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Now I understand the concept, thanks! So how do I efficiently do this
>>> with petsc functions when I am using DMDA which contains the boundary
>>> points too? Conceptually the steps would be the following, I think, but
>>> which petsc functions would enable me to do this efficiently, for example,
>>> without explicitly creating the new matrix A1 in the following and instead
>>> informing KSP about it ?
>>> 1) First create the big system matrix (from DM da) including the
>>> identity rows for Dirichlet points and corresponding rhs, Lets say Ax = b.
>>> 2) Initialize x with zero, then set the desired Dirichlet values on
>>> corresponding boundary points of x.
>>> 3) Create a new matrix, A1 with zeros everywhere except the row,col
>>> positions corresponding to Dirchlet points where put -1.
>>> 4) Get b1 by multiplying A1 with x.
>>> 5) Update rhs with b = b + b1.
>>> 6) Now update A by removing its rows and columns that correspond to the
>>> Dirichlet points, and remove corresponding rows of b and x.
>>> 7) Solve Ax=b
>>>

>> This is generally not a good thing to do with FD.
>>

> Do you mean that with FD, it is better to solve the bigger matrix with the
> identity row for Dirichlet points instead of excluding them (That is the
> way I illustrated in the pseudocode in the very first email above)?
> And why is it not a good thing ? (I thought by excluding the rows-cols of
> Dirichlet points would enable us to preserve the symmetry for symmetrical
> problems ?

If you want symmetry, you can do MatZeroRowColumns(). I said is generally
not a good idea because it is more complicated to eliminate
them in the FD case.

You can definitely do what you propose. With FEM, it makes more sense. You
eliminate constrained variables from the system, but
keep the values in the local vector. Then when you do an element integral,
you get the correct answer including the boundary
conditions, and everything is natural.

    Matt