[petsc-users] Performance of PETSc TS solver

Jin, Shuangshuang Shuangshuang.Jin at pnnl.gov
Fri Aug 16 16:01:50 CDT 2013

Hello, Jed, in my IJacobian subroutine, I defined a PetscScalar J[4*n][4*n], and filled in the values for this J matrix by MatSetValues().

245 seconds out of the total 351 seconds in the DAE TS solving part are due to this J matrix computation.

For that J matrix, half of them are constants values which doesn't change in each iteration. However, since my J is created inside each IJacobian() call, I couldn't reuse it. If that part of work belongs to redundant computation, I would like to know if there's a way to set up the Jacobian matrix outside of the IJacobian() subroutine, so that I can keep the constant part of values in J for all the iterations but only updates the changing values which depends on X?

Thanks,
Shuangshuang