[petsc-users] Narrowing down "Matrix is missing diagonal entry" errors

Bill McGrory mcgrory at aerosoftinc.com
Fri Aug 16 10:09:24 CDT 2013

More information pertaining to the referenced post.

I am using default parameters for my KSP solver, so my routines are
pretty simple I don't pass any options in through the command line, so
this is all default stuff here.

	I create, and fill A and b, and then call
MatAssemblyBegin(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);

		MatAssemblyEnd(A,MAT_FINAL_ASSEMBLY);

     	VecAssemblyBegin(b);
	VecAssemblyEnd(b);

	VecSet(x,0.);

	// Solve A x = b

	KSPCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,&ksp);

	KSPSetOperators(ksp,A,A,DIFFERENT_NONZERO_PATTERN);

	KSPSetFromOptions(ksp);

	KSPSolve(ksp,b,x);

The missing diagonals, I see are in the preconditioner, not the original
Matrix, so I thought I would check my original.

When I make a call to MatMissingDiagonal, after assembling my matrix, I
get the error telling me that MatMissingDiagonal is not supported for a
mpibaij matrix.

Do I have any alternative for querying my assembled matrix?

Thanks again
Bill