[petsc-users] GAMG speed

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 13 22:03:15 CDT 2013

On Aug 13, 2013, at 9:57 PM, Michele Rosso <mrosso at uci.edu> wrote:

> Hi Jed,
>
> I attached the output for both the runs you suggested. At the beginning of each file I included the options I used.
>
> On a side note, I tried to run with a grid of 256^3 (exactly as before) but with less levels, i.e. 3 instead of 4 or 5.
> My system stops the run because of an Out Of Memory condition. It is really odd since I have not changed anything except
> - pc_mg_levels.  I cannot send you any output since there is none. Do you have any guess where the problem comes from?

   By default it uses a direct solver (maybe even sequential) for the coarsest level; since the coarse level is big the direct solver requires too much memory.  You could install PETSc with the ./configure option --download-superlu_dist and run with -mg_coarse_pc_type lu -mg_coarse_pc_factor_mat_solver_package superlu_dist

  Barry