[petsc-users] [Fortran] VTK viewer error

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 21:29:19 CDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Sorry Again. I always use to use reply and the mail went to petsc-users.
> > Only since last few days it is not going to petsc-users. I will make
> sure i
> > reply-all from now on.
>
> We just changed the list default to make it easier for people to filter
> email and to have discussions on petsc-users without necessarily being
> overwhelmed by all list traffic.  For example, "subscribe without
> delivery" works properly now.  Discussed at length starting here:
>
> http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/petsc-users/2013-April/017067.html
>
> >>    This procedure may not work if U has multiple fields per mesh node
> > right ? The field names are already set into Default section of the dm.
>
> Yes, the name is a combination of the object name (the automatic name
> was "Vec_0xyyyyyyyy"), the field name you give to DMPlex, and the
> location (point/cell).

 it tired with
 PetscObjectSetName(u,'myfield', ierr)
Now the data in vtu file is calle

myfieldPoint0    So the pattern is ..<fieldName><Point| Cell><field Id> ?
where the field Name is the one set using PetscObjectSetName ?

But why is it not using the name set using PetscSectionSetFieldName ?

If i have a few fields per point then i can manage with the field Ids  but
usually the aux data i look at has about 10 to 12 fields. It would make
things easier if i can refer to them using Names in the paraview.   As the
viewer is accessing the DM object, why not get the user set field names in
the default section ?

> >   I set the field layout and boundary points using DMPlexCreateSection
> and
> > DMSetDefualtSection
> >   Now, my test problem has 567 nodes. Node 1 and 567 have Dirichlet BC.
> > When i do DMGetGlobalVector it has size 565, the solution vector of the
> > snes  also has size 565.  The solution vector written vtu file has 567
> > values with zero value at the boundary nodes. Am i missing a step here?
> >
> > Usgin Vecsetvaluessection i apply bc  inside the subroutines passed to
> > dmsnessetfunction/jacobain. The bc values are propagated to the solver.
>
> I think Matt envisions running DMGlobalToLocalBegin/End yourself,
> filling in those values, and then VecView on the local Vec.  I'm not
> thrilled with using local vectors to represent global state, but it is
> the first thing the implementation does when you give it a global
> vector, so it's the right thing for you to do.

Dharmendar Reddy Palle
Graduate Student
Microelectronics Research center,
University of Texas at Austin,