[petsc-users] MatMatSolve for MUMPS disappeared?

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 18 13:14:41 CDT 2012

MatMatSolve_MUMPS()  is never been supported.
It seems mumps support multiple rhs now.
If you need it, we can implement MatSolve_MUMPS().

> Trying to use MatMatSolve in petsc-3.3-p3 results in:
>
> [0]PETSC ERROR: No support for this operation for this object type!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: MatMatSolve_MUMPS() is not implemented yet!
>
> The point is that in petsc-3.3-p2 it works like clocks.

It likely calls  MatMatSolve_Basic(), which calls MatSolve_MUMPS() in a
loop,
not an efficient implementation.

There was one issue with it for sequential mode that has been fixed here:
> http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/**releases/petsc-3.3/rev/**8badc49a596e<http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/releases/petsc-3.3/rev/8badc49a596e>

This change prevents  calling of MatMatSolve_Basic().
How many rhs vectors (or number of columns in your rhs matrix)?
MUMPS only supports centralized rhs.  Scattering many rhs vectors to
a sequential dense matrix is non-scalable.

Hong