[petsc-users] AO versus DM for 3D CG solve

Jed Brown five9a2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:49:45 CDT 2012

On Sep 6, 2012 1:12 PM, "Ronald M. Caplan" <caplanr at predsci.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to implement petsc into an existing (very large) FORTRAN code
which splits a 3D grid in each dimension (so for a 100x100x100 problem on 4
cores, each core gets a 25x25x25 part of the grid).

Do you mean 4^3 = 64 cores?

> The default partitioning for petsc just assigns contiguous rows of the
coefficient matrix to each core which is hampering performance.

> From looking around I have found that there are AO routines and DM
routines in petsc.

> What is the difference between using either of them for my problem?
> Should I be using DM to partition the petsc matrices/vectors so that they
match the grid points on each node, or do I use AO routines to do that?
> Or do AO routines just map the default petsc partitioning indices to my
problem's indices in which case I want to use DM?