[petsc-users] How to read/write unstructured mesh in parallel

Tabrez Ali stali at geology.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 19 19:15:12 CST 2012

I have used Fortran I/O (serial) where all processes access the same
input file to read part of the mesh. For runs on 1K-4K cores it is
fairly fast. For example it takes under 2 mins to read a unstructured
mesh of 16 million elements (larger mesh is also fine) on 1000 cores.
Though I guess its not good for the file system (Lustre) but then you're
only doing it once.

MPI collective I/O is supposed to be faster as smaller requests get
merged into a single large one. However its binary only so you may be
better off using higher level libs (HDF5/Parallel NetCDF). However it
seems that after certain number of processors even that gets too slow,
e.g., see sec 4.2 in the following paper
http://climate.ornl.gov/~rmills/pubs/mills-PFLOTRAN_CUG2009.pdf