[petsc-users] Which IDE you use to develop petsc application

Mohammad Mirzadeh mirzadeh at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:16:52 CST 2012

I have successfully used Qt Creator with any C/C++ program I have developed
regardless of what external package I'm linking against. It works for my
projects with PETSc really nicely and you get all the benefits of
auto-compeletion, refactoring, and function/class lookups. Plus, you can
use the visual debugger which is just a front-end to gdb and works quite
nicely whether you are debugging serial, MPI, or threaded codes.

This strategy is perfect for local development where you later deploy the
code to a remote cluster for running. If you want to directly edit codes on
a remote cluster, you can mount the remote drive and just use the IDE as if
you were editing local files. The debugger won't work in this case
obviously (although there are supports for remote-debugging as well but I
have not tried them out). Finally it has got front-ends to valgrind for
both men-check and calgrind tools.

There is a little bit of information in the manual on this, but do not
hesitate to ask me questions if you were interested.