[petsc-users] How to use multigrid?

A.L. Siahaan als88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 10:37:43 CST 2012

Is PCGAMG a combination of AMG and geometric multigrid ? Do we have to
choose either pure AMG (when using -pc_type gamg -pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1)
or pure geometric MG (type="geo") ? From my thread search in this mailing
list about using PCGAMG, it is mostly advised to use pure AMG (-pc_type
gamg -pc_gamg_agg_nsmooths 1).

Of all algebraic multigrid implemented or interfaced in PETSc, i.e.
BoomerAMG (PCHypre), ML(PCML), and PCGAMG("agg"), what is the order of the
cost (memory) to set up the preconditioner (setting nullspace etc) ?

Regards,
Antony