[petsc-users] ill-conditioned problems in PETSc

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 28 10:01:44 CDT 2012

Jim,

>     In fact, I will deal with the large sparse symmetric or unsymmetric
> (depending on the constitutive
> model used for the soil and the formulation of equations) linear system
> which usually occurs in geotechnical
> problems. As you know, In most geotechnical problems, the coefficient
> matrix can be severely
> ill-conditioned, thus calling  for the development of robust and efficient
> preconditioners and iterative methods.
>
>     The iterative method and parallel solver are my choices, actually are
> required by my professor. As I know,
> MUMPS is just an external solver like Matlab. So is it a right way to
> analyse the preconditioners and iterative

MUMPS and Superlu_dist are parallel sparse direct solvers for
ill-conditioned problems.
They can solve problems with 10k unknowns sequentially and scale up to
10+ or 100+ processors, i.e. solve problems with 100k unknowns.
Give them a try. Then, explore other preconditioners.

methods provided by PETSc like CG, GMRES, Jacobi, sor, etc. for my work?

>     Also I do not quite understand the second part of what Barry said
> ('You will not be able to use the external
> solvers with those mode'). So, what does 'those mode' mean. Using quad
> precision?

Yes, high precisions. Start from small problems with robust solvers, then
slowly
move to large, complex problems.

Hong