[petsc-users] replacing Schur complement in pcfieldsplit

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:04:12 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Klaij, Christiaan <C.Klaij at marin.nl> wrote:

> In order to implement SIMPLE-type preconditioners for the
> incompressible Navier-Stokes equations (Elman e.a. JCP 227, 2008)
> using the PCFieldSplit framework, it looks like I need to replace
> inv(A00) by some cheap approximation
>
> 1) in the Schur complement

When you have a Schur FS, the '0' solver is this approximation.

> 2) in the L and/or U of the LDU factorization

You can use whatever PC you want for the solver mentioned above.

> 3) while keeping A00 in the D

I think what you want here is -pc_fieldsplit_real_diagonal.

I would be really nice to make a PETSc example that did SIMPLE. I was
going to do this, but if you do it first, I will put it in.

   Matt