[petsc-users] From CSR format to MatSetValues

w_ang_temp w_ang_temp at 163.com
Thu Jun 14 22:18:30 CDT 2012

Hello, Matt

    After my careful testing, I get some findings.

    Firstly, considering the approach of setting one row at a time. I change my codes
from setting one data per time to one row per time (codes attached). I find that both
of the times are almost equal and cannot be ignored . In my opinion, the latter should
take less time than the former. the codes have been proved to have the right results
and I think my testing datas are enough to show that they almost have the same time
for setting the matrix.

    Secondly, as you said in a previous post('CSR Sparse Matrix Query', 2007), there
is no Fortran interface for the function 'MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays'. I am not sure
if it is true now because the docs do not specify this and I connot compile with
it atfer a simple test. In my opinion, you prefer to do the thing of setting values from
CSR format using the way of setting values with MatSetValus for each row rather than
using MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays. am I right?

    Thanks again.
                                       Jim
-----coding:per row(you can compare it with the first page int this post of one data per time )-----

      !NROWIN,NNZIJ,values:the CSR variables of the main function
      !NROWIN,NNZIJ:one-based,so get zero-based variables rowIndex,columns
       do 10,II=Istart+1,Iend
        !no-zero numbers of this row
        rowNum=NROWIN(II+1)-NROWIN(II)

        allocate(nColPerRow(rowNum))
        allocate(valuePerRow(rowNum))

        kValStart=NROWIN(II)+1-1
        kValEnd=NROWIN(II)+rowNum-1

        !column index
        nColPerRow=NNZIJ(kValStart:kValEnd)-1
        valuePerRow=values(kValStart:kValEnd)
        nRow=II-1
        call MatSetValues(A,ione,nRow,rowNum,nColPerRow,valuePerRow,
     &       INSERT_VALUES,ierr)
       deallocate(nColPerRow)
       deallocate(valuePerRow)
  10  continue