[petsc-users] Computation to communication ratio for PETSc's routines

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 06:24:24 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Alexander Grayver
<agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As stated, I would like to estimate computation to communication ratio for
> PETSc's linear algebra routines (e.g. MatMult{Transpose}, MatPtAP,
> MatMatMult etc.)
> As far as I understand the ratio depends on particular implementation and
> number of processes one runs application on.
> So I guess these formulas should be known?

It depends on the input data. For example, block diagonal matrices do not
communicate in MatMult().

> If not then I see one way to estimate it. Write app with those operations,
> parse -log_summary and then divide flops/messages, however the question is
> what information from -log_summary output should be used for that?

We give the number of messages and the average message length, so you can
get the total length across processes. Since
each side records, we divide by 2 (I think, you should check PetscLogView
for specifics). You can also use PetscLogViewPython()
to simplify parsing.

   Matt