[petsc-users] Nullspace issue

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 12 08:37:50 CDT 2012

  Thomas,

    Since you are solving a coupled system of equations you should start with PCFIELDSPLIT. This allows you to build a preconditioner by combining solvers for separate components of the PDE. It can even be applied recursively to first separate the Navier-Stokes equations from the Cahn-Hillard and then to separate the parts of the Navier-Stokes.

    It may take a little thought for how you want the separation done and what solvers to use on what parts, but it is the only way to get an efficient solver for such a coupled system.

   Barry

  Jed, WTF are you talking about SVDs and stuff?