[petsc-users] linking to external library

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 5 23:12:46 CDT 2012

> I'm going to guess that you have a functional liblapack and libblas at
> /usr/lib and a broken one (possibly installed by macports) in /opt/local/lib
> which gets picked up when the -L/opt/local/lib option is added.
>
> Fix is to remove the BLAS and LAPACK from in /opt/local/lib so that the one
> at /usr/lib can be used.

It's not so much that ATLAS is broken but that random symbols are
getting picked up and linked. But yes, Jed is correct; you really need
to uninstall ATLAS from MacPorts (it's usually installed from the
numpy or scipy port):

$ sudo port -v uninstall --follow-dependents atlas

Then reinstall whichever ports you need but without atlas:

$ sudo port -v install py27-numpy -atlas

Be warned with the above command line since I'm just giving an example
and don't actually know which ports or variants that you need.