[petsc-users] Solutions different after program restart

Niceno Bojan bojan.niceno at psi.ch
Sun Jun 3 08:30:53 CDT 2012

Dear Jed,

thanks for the answer.

> How large are the differences? If they are at linear (or nonlinear) solver
> tolerance, then both are equally correct (or equally wrong).

Good point!  For example:

Residual norm obtained from a call to "KSPGetResidualNorm(ksp, &rnorm);", gives:

- First run: 1.98077e-02
- Second run: 2.61329e-02

The tolerances I request from KSP's gmres solver are:

- Linear solver relative tolerance = 0.001;
- Linear solver absolute tolerance = 1.0e-5;

Does it tell you something?  It does not to me :-(

> For some codes, the domain decomposition will not be identical on restart;
> that changes the algorithm.

That is clear, but what I am comparing are two sequential runs.

    Kind regards,

    Bojan

Some preconditioners actually use randomness in
their setup (e.g. ML). VecScatter processes messages in the order that they
are received (best for performance); you can use -vecscatter_reproduce (or
one of the other -vecscatter options) to process messages in deterministic
order. The matrix stash (used to assemble off-process entries, usually with
ADD_VALUES) does not currently have an option to reproduce exactly so
finite element assembly can vary (at rounding error).

How important is bitwise reproducibility (understanding that it's expensive
and limits the available algorithms) versus reproducibility to any desired
tolerance?