[petsc-users] MatConvert behavior 3.1 vs 3.2

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 26 12:52:25 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:24, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> I am having problems with the following piece of code in petsc 3.2 but
> not 3.1 (with syntax changes where appropriate):
>
> Mat XBI;
> Mat adj = 0;
> MatPartitioning part = 0;
> IS is = 0;
>
> // Now declare XBI as MPIAIJ and fill it.
>
> MatConvert(XBI, MATMPIADJ, MAT_INITIAL_MATRIX, &adj);
> MatPartitioningCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, &part);
> MatPartitioningSetAdjacency(part, adj);
> MatPartitioningSetNParts(part, npMax);
> MatPartitioningSetFromOptions(part);
> MatPartitioningApply(part, &is);
>
> It crashes in parmetis at the last line above and I have already
> reported that in their bug system.
> I want to eliminate the changes between Petsc 3.1/3.2 API as a
> possible cause - would there be any changes possibly affecting
> behavior this code?

PETSc-3.1 with --download-parmetis uses ParMetis-3.1.1 with some custom
patches.

PETSc-3.2 uses ParMetis-3.2 with other custom patches.

PETSc-dev uses ParMetis-4.0.2 with other custom patches.

I suggest that you try building your code with petsc-dev to see if
ParMetis-4.0.2 fixed the bug you are hitting.