[petsc-users] question about partitioning usage

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 25 15:07:01 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 14:55, Dominik Szczerba <dominik at itis.ethz.ch>wrote:

> Jed, you are generally right, although I do not capture the context of
> your remarks in this very case.
> Maybe the context you are missing is that on my own linux box things
> run smoothly - I start getting problems on platforms like Windows or
> Cray, where I can not run a debugger (easily).

So ParMETIS crashes on the hostile platform where it is slow to debug, fine.

But your code is calling it in cases where it doesn't crash, so why not run
the same code in your friendly environment and set a breakpoint in
MatPartitioningApply() (or even the ParMETIS routine where the assert is
failing) so that you can find out where else it is being called from. This
should take about 10 seconds.