[petsc-users] question about partitioning usage

Dominik Szczerba dominik at itis.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 25 12:29:29 CST 2012

>> I recently realized that, independently of my explicitly partitioning
>> the input mesh, Petsc also employs partitioning somewhere internally.
>

> We don't unless you tell us to.

Can you please expand? I am partitioning my input unstructured mesh to
distribute dofs throughout the processes, and then I am setting up my
MPI matricess "as usual", not intending any calls to parmetis or other
partitioning functions... So where can I tell or not tell Petsc to use
partitioning here or not?

Many thanks
Dominik