[petsc-users] SNESVI convergence spped

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 16 20:11:54 CST 2012

It seems to me that the problem is that ultimately ALL of the degrees of
freedom are in the active set,
but they get added to it a few at a time -- and there may even be some
"chatter" there -- necessitating many SNESVI steps.
Could it be that the regularization makes things worse? When \epsilon \ll
1, the unconstrained solution is highly oscillatory, possibly further
exacerbating the problem. It's possible that it would be better if V just
diverged uniformly.  Then nearly all of the degrees of freedom would bump
up against the upper obstacle all at once.

Dmitry.