[petsc-users] Error in VecAssemeblyBegin after VecView

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 3 06:59:55 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 06:41, <Johannes.Huber at unibas.ch> wrote:

> The first assembly works well, and I would agree, if the first assmebly
> crashed. However, it's the second assembly call and in between those two
> calls, all I'm doing is viewing the vector.

Use a debugger to set a breakpoint in VecSetValues(); maybe starting after
your first assemble. Also try Valgrind, it could be memory corruption.

You can also break in the first VecAssemblyBegin and do

(gdb) p &vec->stash.insertmode
$1 = (InsertMode *) 0xADDRESS
(gdb) wat *$1
Hardware watchpoint 3: *$1
(gdb) c
... breaks when insertmode is modified for any reason.