[petsc-users] testing scalability for ksp/ex22.c

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 23 22:30:03 CST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 18:58, Francis Poulin <fpoulin at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> I can do it for each of them if that helps but I suspect the method is the same so I'm sending the information for the first 3, n = 2, 4, 8.  In the mean  time I will figure out how to change the number of levels..
>
> There are only three levels. The coarsest level has 32k degrees of freedom, which is very expensive to solve (redundantly) with a direct solver.
>
> Run this, it's higher resolution and will be much faster than what you had.
>
> mpiexec -n 2 ./ex22 -da_grid_x 5 -da_grid_y 5 -da_grid_z 5 -dmmg_nlevels 6 -ksp_monitor -mg_levels_ksp_type richardson -mg_levels_pc_type sor -log_summary
>

> Also, please switch to a more recent release of PETSc as soon as possible and do not develop new code using DMMG since that component has been removed (and its functionality incorporated into SNES and KSP).

Using Petsc Release Version 3.1.0, Patch 4, Fri Jul 30 14:42:02 CDT 2010

  Goodness gracious, you won't run performance tests on your grandpa's desk calculator would you? Switch to petsc-dev immediately http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/developers/index.html and use src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials/ex45.c and use the options -ksp_monitor -mg_levels_ksp_type richardson -mg_levels_pc_type sor -log_summary -da_refine 6