[petsc-users] What do with singular blocks in block matrix preconditioning?

Thomas Witkowski thomas.witkowski at tu-dresden.de
Fri Feb 17 05:54:17 CST 2012

Maybe some related question: Most textbooks write that the compatibility
condition to solve a system with constant null space is that the right
hand side has zero mean value. Today I read part of the Multigrid-book
written by Trottenberg, and there the condition is written in a
different form (eq 5.6.22 on page 185): the integral of the right hand
side must be equal on the whole domain and on the boundary. Does any of
you have an explanation for this condition? Is there a book/paper that
considers the compatibility condition in more details?

Thomas