[petsc-users] Question on TS

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 26 11:02:58 CST 2012

On Dec 26, 2012, at 10:24 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM, amlan barua <abarua at iit.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> Greetings to the team! I am currently using PETSc for my research. Here is a brief description of my problem and my query
> a) I have a set a points distributed on a 3 dimensional lattice.
> b) Corresponding to each point in this set, 7 odes are defined.
> c) Of these 7 odes, 6 are uncoupled but one is coupled to nearest neighbors.
>
> I suggest not optimizing for "missing" coupling to start with. We can do the optimization in the solver, perhaps by splitting the DMDA into the local and coupled parts.

   I agree with Jed here. Coincidently I am working on a similar problem but with thousands of ODEs (mostly decoupled).  You can use DMDASetBlockFills(), the ofill parameter to indicate exactly what fields are coupled to neighbors and which are not, this reduces the unneeded zero Jacobian entries (you can also use the dfill parameter to reduce unneeded zero entries in the 7 by 7 block). Eventually we'll use the same information to reduce the ghost point communication also.

   Barry