[petsc-users] Problem with "likely location of problem given in stack below"?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Apr 7 15:49:35 CDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 15:41, Alan Wei <zhenglun.wei at gmail.com> wrote:

>     I got a problem with /ksp/ksp/example/tutorial. I was trying to
> execute this example with petsc-dev in a share  memory dell workstation
> with 8 cores. The parameter for DMDACreate2d is 500, 500, which means it
> generates a 1997*1997 2d grid. It is fine to run it with single process
> with either "./ex29" or "mpiexec -np 1 ./exe29". However, it came across a
> error when I tempted to run it with more than 1 process. The error message
> is like this, when I was trying to execute it with 4 processes. I was
> thinking about if the 'stack size' is the problem, so I enlarge it to
> 1000000000 with 'ulimit' command. However, the same error message keeps
> showing up.

This custom viewer (in the example) is broken in parallel and has always
been broken in parallel. I don't know who wrote it, but it should be
removed since there is a binary VTK PetscViewer now.

Matt, this has come up a few times before and I thought you defended that
viewer. Is there anything it does that VecView with PETSCVIEWERVTK does not?