[petsc-users] Debugger question

Anton Popov popov at uni-mainz.de
Tue Apr 3 02:03:57 CDT 2012

I support 100% what Barry said. Just get the work done. Cray and IBM
Linux systems do not support ALL the systems calls that PETSc uses. So
it's always kind of problem to purge manually petscconf.h in between of
"configure" and "make" on their machines. I wander how you could install
any PETSc without modifying petscconf.h. If you just don't care, usually
you get segfaults right at PetscInitialize() step. Literally it means,
there is no way you can debug anything, they should reinstall PETSc,
keeping in mind the exact list of system calls they support, and PETSc
requirements.

By the way, the times when GNU compilers were "order of magnitude"
slower than "vendor compilers" have passed long ago. Just give it a try,
compile some simple computationally intensive code with gcc and
something from "vendor" with aggressive optimization, and check
execution time on a large data set. I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Cheers,
Anton