[petsc-users] petsc-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 13

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 7 13:56:41 CDT 2011

yes - fundamentally source code is more portable. [binary is generally
not portable - even on the same OS - due to versions of OS or
dependent libraries or other issues]

Whatever machine you need to run your code on - you'll have to move
your code [and supporting library code] to that machine and build/run
there.

Sometimes you might find some libraries prebuilt on the target
machine.  Compute clusters generally will have MPI prebuilt [by the
admin of the cluster] - and one should build all mpi related
packages,applcations with that recommended/installed MPI etc..

PETSc [and all externalpackages it installs] are provided to you at
the source code level - so you build and use them on each target
machine you need them on.

Satish