[petsc-users] ERROR: Cannot pass default in for both input and output indices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 24 15:46:54 CDT 2011

   Your problem is that you think that somehow if you pass defaults to VecScatter is going to magically determine which elements you want mapped from the first vector to which elements in the second vector.  Unless both vectors have the exact same local sizes how is it to know what mapping you want? (Hence the error it generated) You need to determine exactly what you want mapped from the first vector to the second and then set up the IS to make that happen. Hoping that some defaults will do what you want is not a good idea. Note that each process has to provide the same size in ix and iy, that determine the froms and tos for the entries. It makes no sense for a process to provide the locations of some froms but not the locations of the corresponding toos.

    Barry