[petsc-users] ML Optimization and local preconditioners

Travis Austin austin at txcorp.com
Thu May 19 21:58:58 CDT 2011

Hi,

Not on the PETSc team but some experience with these two multilevel preconditioners.  For starters take a look at this publication by one
of the HYPRE team members on parameter choices for 2D and 3D Poisson problems that deliver the best performance.  Pay particular
attention to p. 18-22.  There are many knobs with these solvers (in particular BoomerAMG) and they may need tweaking to improve
performance.

https://computation.llnl.gov/casc/linear_solvers/pubs/yang1.pdf

Also, what is your definition of poor scalability?  With respect to increasing processor count (i.e., parallel scalability) or with respect to
performance based on increasing problem size?  Both of these preconditiioners have been thoroughly tested for Poisson-style
problems and I'd be surprised if you don't get (at least) good scalability with respect to problem size?

Travis

Travis Austin, Ph.D.
Tech-X Corporation
5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A